With its nearly 60,000 hectares the Biebrza National Park is the largest national park in Poland. It stretches from Poland’s border with Belarus to Wizna. The park’s area is made up mostly of vast stretches of wetland. Numerous old river-beds with some 36 fish species. Inhabited also by the otter, badger, deer, elk and beaver. A unique abundance of birds with 263 bird species, including 179 nesting species.
Established in 1996. The park has a total area of nearly 23 thousand hectares. It comprises a part of the Upper Narew Valley, where the Narew River is meandering through flooded marshes and meadows. 22 fish species, 200 bird species (also – ruff tooting grounds), elk, beavers, otters and ermines. The Park has marked footpaths, there is a water track down the river, camping sites, viewing platforms and bathing sites. Angling is allowed in the park.
Much smaller than the two others, but it’s heart is only 10 kilometres from Carski Trakt. The Park includes the Narew valley preserved in its natural state along some 16 kilometres from Bronowo to Lomza. The Park’s area is 19,664 hectares, populated with some 750 plant species. Moreover, it’s a real bird’s paradise, with some 200 bird species (137 nesting).
a small village across the river from Łomża, but an important military stronghold ... in its time. A massive ring of fortifications defending the river crossing, built in the years 1890-1908. A major battlefield in the Polish-Russian War in 1920 and during World War II. Nearby, the Kalinowo Nature Reserve.
The manor of the Lutosławski family near Łomża. Currently a natural history museum with a full spectrum of local animal and plant life. A must if you don't know what animals or birds to watch during your holiday or want to show it all to impatient kids
legendary defence by Captain Władysław Raginis with his one thousand soldiers against the onslaught of the 19th General Guderian’s Panzer Corps (40,000 men) in September 1939 during the German invasion of Poland. Only the ruins of the Captain’s Headquarters remain.
A great view on the confluence of the Biebrza and Narew Rivers.
this town’s history dates back to the 13-15th century, when it was one of the most important cities in Mazovia and the seat of the castellany. Nowogród obtained city rights in the year 1427. Currently, its main attractions are a skansen of traditional local buildings (one of the biggest in Poland) and the parish church of the Blessed Mary the Virgin dating back to the turn of the 15th century.
a vast system of Tsarist fortifications dating back to late 19th century. Never captured despite many attempts. You think poison-gas was first used at the battlefield of Ypres at the French-Belgian border? Listen to the local guides ... maybe that’s not the whole story...Another thing that Osowiec is famous for is that beavers, nearly extinct before WWII were successfully reintroduced in the moats of the Fortress.
became a city in 1414. By 1573 Tykocin already had 250 houses and 1,400 inhabitants. It also had a small river port shipping vast tonnages of grain to Gdańsk (Danzig). A baroque church, a synagogue (now a museum), the ruins of the castle of Sigisimundus Augustus, Jewish houses around the town square...